A Florida animal shelter is praising the efforts of a senior dog named Chuck, who recently bit off the head of a venomous snake to save a volunteer. The Panhandle Animal Welfare Society shared Chuck’s heroics in a Facebook post on Tuesday, explaining what happened:
Chuck is not a “player.” He’s a laid back 11-year-old. Toys are not his thing anymore. So we were surprised Sunday when he started “playing” with something in the yard. Surprise turned to panic when we quickly realized it was a venomous snake. He bit its head off to protect a volunteer, and it bit back while being swallowed.
Unfortunately, Chuck did not escape the encounter unscathed. The snake managed to bite the 11-year-old dog before being killed, and Chuck has been struggling ever since. The shelter writes:
It’s been touch and go. Two rounds of antivenin! He’s doing better, but doesn’t want to eat. One of our caring volunteers just brought a variety of home-cooked snacks as enticement.
The shelter issued a plea for help for the four-legged canine hero:
Antivenin is expensive. Add the pain medications and antibiotics, and the vet bill is nearing $3,000.
Chuck also needs to recover in a quiet, comfortable foster home.
Can you help with the vet bill?
Can you foster? If so, email VickiM@paws-shelter.org. A home without kids or other pets is preferred.
[email-posts-subscribers namefield=”YES” desc=”JOIN US” group=”Public”]