Uganda – A good Samaritan helped save the life of a toddler who was swallowed alive by a hungry hippo. According to the Uganda Police Force, the hippo grabbed two-year-old Iga Paul by the head and swallowed half of his body.
Fortunately, someone saw the terrifying incident and quickly took action. The police said that Chrispas Bagonza threw rocks at the hippo, causing the animal to release the boy. The child was rushed to a nearby clinic for injuries to his hand. He was then transferred to a hospital for further care, and a rabies vaccine. Amazingly, he did not suffer extensive injury and was released to his parents shortly thereafter.
The authorities reminded the public that hippos can be dangerous, writing:
Although the hippo was scared back into the lake, all residents near animal sanctuaries and habitats, should know that wild animals are very dangerous. Instinctually, wild animals see humans as a threat and any interaction can cause them to act strangely or aggressively.